Friday, October 30, 2009

My Short Chat With Vincent D'Onofrio of Law & Order:Criminal Intent



This is actually a piece that I wrote for another blog after I had the great opportunity to talk to Vincent D'Onofrio Tuesday on WRXP 101.9 radio FM NYC. So, if you read it on the other blogsite, feel free to skip it : )

October 27th- I had the great pleasure of being able to speak, although , only momentarily to Vincent D’Onofrio this morning when he was an in studio guest on NYC’s WRXP FM with Matt Pinfield. Right before the interview, they asked that anyone with questions for D’Onofrio call in, so I figured, “What the heck, let’s try it”. Imagine my surprise when they asked me to hold on to be put through! Once introduced and put on air, I was able to tell Vincent what a huge fan of the show myself and my family were and asked him if he was aware of the enormous Fluff campaign mounted against USA Network in response to the cast shake up at Criminal Intent. How wonderful it was to have the DJ say that they had been deluged with calls and e-mails about his impending departure from the show! D’Onofrio did say that, yes, he was aware of the Fluff campaign and that he felt that the fans had to do whatever they felt right in response to the news. However, sad to say, D’Onofrio did say that he wanted to make it abundantly clear that he was leaving the show by his own choice; no network foulplay. I was saddened to hear that and again, the DJjs responded by saying that their bulk of correspondence with fans was to question the truth behind the departures. Hearing from the man himself, that it was his decision to leave, I suppose made it easier. D’Onofrio said that he has seen the episodes with Golblum and assured listeners that he though they were great. Ok..that is all a matter of opinion but I digress. I will say that, on a positive note, D’Onofrio said that his character was NOT being killed off and that he and Dick Wolf had been speaking for months about leaving the door open for a return. I shall pin my hopes and dreams on that. It was a wonderful experience to be able to talk to the actor that created a character I have grown to enjoy so much over the years. At least some rumors have been laid to rest and the idea of a possible return for Goren is hopeful. I was extremely excited but think I managed to keep myself together and sound coherent and intelligent yet passionate about the show we have all come to know and love as Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

-Bett @ Mermaid’s Tears

8 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! That is soooo cool that you got to talk to the man himself *swoons*. He is so gracious and a class act. He will be missed as Bobby Goren, but hopefully that means he'll be making more movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was fortunate to be home so I could hear the interview 'live' in England over the Internet. Congratulations on sounding like an intelligent human being! I doubt I'd've been able to manage more than a few happy gurgling noises ;) We're going to miss him, but he's obviously OK with his decision to leave - some days - a bit like the rest of us probably. It was a shame the second - and final - question that was put through to him from Joe Public was about 'FMJ' and not something more current, like any future plans. 'FMJ' was over 20 years ago, I'm sure Vincent is pretty tired of being asked about it by now, but, as ever, he was gracious with his reply. As Jojo said, he's pure class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How absolutely terrific that you could listen to the interview in England! I'm so excited. I'm thrilled that I got to talk to him but wish I had gotten off my butt and taken the drive to NYC that night to see him perform and hope to meet him! Seeing that NY is only a 35-40 minurte drive and it was pelting rain. Sometimes it's best not to push your luck because somewhere the word "stalker" starts being bandied about lol..I agree that the second question was a waste of time. We've heard it before, ask something pertinent to the present!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for giving us some insight into Vincent and LOCI. I did believe all along that it was he who wanted out to pursue projects of his liking. I can only wish him the very best and say thank you to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly, I too think it was his decision. Who knows how these network executives are to work with though. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that Vincent saw the handwriting on the wall when he saw the inferior scripts he was being given. Quite frankly, Jeff Goldblum is no Vincent D'Onofrio when it comes to superb acting skills, sheer charisma, and an innate sensuality that can't be counterfeited!

    I will not be watching LOCI without Vincent D'Onofrio in it as Bobby Goren, and I sincerely hope that the one who gets killed off isn't Kathryn Erbe, but Eric Bogosian. I will miss the snarky remarks pf Miss Erbe and the quiet, authoritative strength and intelligence that she vrought to her role as Alex Eames!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Xeresa- Beautifully said! As I watch the older episodes, I am saddened by the disintegration of Goren's character. In the episode I watched today, he actually had a date! If it "ain't broke don't fix it" is truly the only catch phrase I can think of for the current state of disrepair that LOCI has become. Alas, I feel sorry for Jeff Goldblum as he will take so much heat for Season 9's meltdown and implosion. Gone before it's time with so many stories left to tell...bring our favorite duo back and throw Nicole Wallace back in to make it interesting! Oh if it were not only a dream....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I certainly won't be watching. I will just have to be satisfied with the old ones on netflex...sad!!!

    ReplyDelete