Friday, June 26, 2009

MY JOHNNY DEPP ENCOUNTER OF THE THIRD KIND~MY SEA GLASS JEWELRY FINDS A NEW HOME AT THE DEPP'S











Ok..it is official…I have lived my dream of meeting Johnny Depp and did not throw up, faint, or make an idiot of myself. Better yet, I was able to present him with a sea glass pendant that my son and I made for him. I’ll keep the blubbering and blabbering to a minimum and relate how this all came to pass. Johnny was in NYC yesterday to film Letterman to promote "Public Enemies". I live in New Jersey and only a 40 minute drive away from the studios. After much debate and some failed “fool proof” plans, involving people that worked at CBS and knew people etc., my son and I had pretty much decided to dump the plan and not be disappointed. At 10:00 p.m. the night before, we started making a pendant out of black sea glass “just in case”. Heck, another Etsy friend "The Caravan" from California had sent me something to give him too and between that and my son’s disappointed face, I felt almost obligated to give it the ole college try!
We drilled a piece of black sea glass, added skull and crossbones charm for that pirate effect with sterling silver wire. Then we dangled a charm with a pirate flag from it and hung it from a leather cord. Very Depp-like. I’ve included the pic here.
At about 2:15 p.m. yesterday, still debating whether to go, we took the plunge! We made our way to the city where, for a change, the sun was glowing brightly and not a drop to be found of rain! I attribute this to the very presence of Johhny Depp and his ability to control the weather by his glowing persona…lol. Anyway, any good celebrity chaser knows that you have to make friends with the right people; security and police. So, after arriving to a throng of hundreds of people, exchanging pleasantries with said people to know, offering them bottled water and making clear to them that it was “all about my son meeting Johnny Depp”, we were told exactly where to be to make sure we got noticed and approached! Ok…let me back track here and say though it was a LOT for my son…but…I’m the one with the autographed photos and cardboard cutout in the basement!
Well, when the show was finally over and he came out he made his way to us, thanks to the very nice security man and we were able to present him with the pendant we made from the glass. He thought it was “very cool” and knew right what it was when I told him it was sea glass!! How neat!! I can officially say that Johnny Depp has one of my pieces! He handled the piece, admired it and I saw it go with him into his car! Now, his daughter may have it wrapped around a Barbie by now but it is still in the Depp possession and that is all that I care!! He was a gentleman, chatted with my son(pic #4) and high fived him!! It truly was surreal and when you look at the pictures, taken without a zoom, you will see why I am amazed that I stayed on two feet! All I kept saying was “Oh my gosh, his hair kept touching my hand !” Of course hubby had to know those details!! I can only hope now that this gracious man chooses to wear this piece in public and is photographed wearing it. It was a day I’ll never, ever forget!! My only disappontment is that we were so close when he came to us that I could not get a picture of he and my son together...ok...I'll survive that and live with the fact that he was sooo close. My son still will not wash his hand! And I can only hope that his entire family becomes sea glass fanatics and he will provide them all with gifts....from me of course!!! The magic of sea glass lives again!!

9 comments:

  1. :) cool pandent fits him in the movie :P..johnny the sexy man ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome for you both! Hope he tells the world about your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg that is so awesome! I would've completely melted and probably not even have gotten a pic! Great necklace!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome and exciting! I would have been completely dumb founded and probably would have pee'd my pants! I would have lost my words and just thrust my hand forward holding the necklace in his face, or something! LOL! Awesome, Awesome, AWESOME! And...he knew what sea glass was, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah...thankfully my son grounded me or I would have been a blithering mess...had a small breakdown afterwards of utter disbelief! I still can't believe it happened!! Just wait till Alice In Wonderland opens!! Dave better have him back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah! Photos were a must do though so I started taking them as sooon as he walked out of the building! I have loads of his back and tons of his security gurads! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Johnny Depp is so intriguing. That's so great you met him and gave him your black (wow, so rare)

    We lived in Bergen NJ for many years, I loved being able to pop into the city. Thanks for telling the story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to Go Girl that was great to hear that and they are making another POTC Movie so I wish you luck maybe he might be wearing it in the movie That would be so cool :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the nice comments!! Yeah..I could truly use the Deppster wearing my piece somehwere as I am now "living the dream" and doing jewelry making full time. C'mon JD..who put you where you are? Lol..really he was so gracious, I could not ask for more...could I?

    ReplyDelete